Why not enjoy one of the most readily available fruits in Guanacaste.
Avocado seeds make up more than 18% of the deliciously creamy avocado fruit and are often tossed aside habitually. However, the seeds have been found to contain more than 70% of the antioxidant content in each avocado, making it an excellent source of nutrition with multiple health benefits.
The incredible fiber content combined with natural oils, vitamins and minerals lead to improved digestion, reduced inflammation and have even been linked to preventing the development of cancer cells. While it may seem unconventional to keep the seed, it’s as easy as slicing it into quarters and blending it into juices, smoothies and sauces for an incredible health kick. It can also be ground separately into a powder and sprinkled into meals and creative recipes, helping you to reach new heights of health with minimal effort.
Here are 10 health benefits of eating an avocado seed:
1. Rich Source of Antioxidants
The National University of Singapore conducted a study in 2003 to observe the antioxidant content in the seeds avocados, mangoes and other tropical fruit. It found that the seeds of the fruit contained 70% more antioxidant value than the fruit itself which, if eaten, can help to prevent oxidative stress at a cellular level in the body.
Antioxidants reduce cellular aging, fight inflammation and improve the condition of the entire body.
2. Helps to Prevent Cancer
Decades of research have gone into finding a cure for multiple types of cancer, but one study that has recently gained attention is the link between avocado seeds and the prevention of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). AML originates in bone marrow and, once developed, spreads to the bloodstream in the form of leukemia.
In April 2015 scientists from the University of Waterloo and Mount Sinai Hospital in Canada teamed up with scientists from the University of Perugia in Italy to study the effect of various untested compounds on AML cancer cells, and avocado pits proved to be the most effective.
A compound known as avocatin B was found to not only destroy AML cancer cells but also to have zero negative side effects on healthy blood cells, something which current cancer treatments cannot include.
3. Heals Digestive Disorders
South Americans have been familiar with the digestive benefits that avocado seeds contain for hundreds of years and have been using it to treat ulcers, constipation and diarrhea.
Avocado seeds contain soluble fiber and powerful anti-inflammatory compounds which help to reduce flatulence and bloating and eliminates toxins and waste that can cause complications.
4. Helps to Lower Cholesterol and Prevent Heart Disease
Dr. Tom Wu, a physician who has been honored by both the American Cancer Society and the United Nations has confirmed that avocado seeds offer some of the most intense amounts of soluble fiber compared to any other natural food source.
Soluble fiber helps to rid the cardiovascular system of plaque buildup and cholesterol, which helps to prevent heart disease, heart failure and stroke. In particular, avocado seeds help to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and contain essential fatty acids that help to raise the HDL (good) cholesterol levels, which helps to restore a healthy cholesterol balance.
5. Helps to Prevent Cravings and Increases Fat Lossavocado seed
The high amount of soluble and insoluble fiber contained in each avocado pit will help to keep you feeling fuller for longer, which reduces cravings in between meals and can encourage accelerated fat loss.
It also helps to eliminate excess toxins and waste, which improves nutrient absorption and boosts metabolism, helping to improve the rate at which food is broken down. This means a leaner, healthier composition from just one simple ingredient.
6. Helps to Prevent Blood Sugar Imbalance
A diet high in fiber and low in sugar helps to prevent blood sugar spikes and dips and can prevent the development of Type 2 Diabetes.
Avocado seeds are the perfect addition to any smoothie or meal as the rich source of fiber helps to balance out any intake of sugar, keeping blood sugar levels stable.
7. Reduces Inflammation
Avocado seeds contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds known as catechins and procyanidins which help to reduce the risk of developing chronic inflammation.
Chronic inflammation can lead to a number of diseases and discomforts, such as arthritis, hypertension and even Alzheimer’s disease, which makes it an important issue to face and manage.
8. Improves the Health and Appearance of Skin
The intense burst of antioxidants in each avocado pit helps to reduce oxidative stress caused by the sun’s harmful UV rays as well as pollution, chemicals and our modern environment. This helps to reduce the visible signs of aging, as well as rejuvenating the tone and condition of skin tissue.
Avocado seeds also contain nourishing oils which help to smooth wrinkles and improve the elasticity of skin, making you look younger and healthier in just one simple step.
9. Inhibits Fungal Infections avocado with the seed showing
A test tube study was carried out by the Brazilian Society of Tropical Medicine in 2009 to observe the effect that avocado seed extract had on candida, fungal infections and bacteria.
Researchers found that avocado seed extract helped to inhibit pathogens such as fungal bacteria and candida. Interestingly, it also helped to prevent yellow fever. Adding avocado seed to your diet may help to reduce fungal infections and restore the balance of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
10. Excellent Source of Potassium
An article published by the California Avocado Society indicates that avocado seeds are a rich source of potassium, which makes it an excellent source of fluid-balancing nutrition.
Potassium helps to eliminate excess toxins and fluid from the body as well as reducing muscle cramps.
How Can You Include Avocado Seeds in Your Diet?
Avocado seeds are not as strong as they look and can be easily sliced into quarters. Thereafter, add it to a blender or grinder to make a bitter and tannin-rich powder for future use in sauces, soups and smoothies. Alternatively, it can be added immediately to a smoothie for a healthier drink- just be sure to use a high powered blender
Used primarily as a condiment, balsamic vinegar can be drizzled on salads, berries, and pasta dishes to increase not only the flavor but also the nutritional value of any meal. It contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and polyphenols that are incredibly good for your health, and it’s low in sodium and has no fat.
Traditional balsamic vinegar is made from the reduction of a white grape which originates from Modena in Italy. Its use dates back as far as 1046 A.D and it is highly valued by gourmet chefs for its velvety color and rich flavor today. It ages in wooden barrels for 3-12 years and ranges in fluidity and taste accordingly.
Here are 12 health benefits of balsamic vinegar:
1..Promotes fat loss 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar contains only 14 calories and no fat, which makes it the perfect addition to any meal for maximizing flavor while minimizing empty calories. It’s also a great source of calcium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus, which has been proven to boost metabolism and increase fat loss. Some studies have also suggested that balsamic vinegar can promote the feeling of satiation by subtly suppressing appetite, which leads to natural weight loss.
2. Improves digestion Balsamic vinegar activates the production of pepsin in the digestive tract, which is an enzyme that helps to break protein down into absorbable amino acids. In Italy, it is also commonly used as a digestive aid to reduce cramps, flatulence, and indigestion, and can be taken mixed with a bit of water or directly in one spoonful. The polyphenols in balsamic vinegar also help to improve the absorption efficiency of the intestine, which helps to maximize the nutritional benefit of every meal.
3. Keeps the immune system strong Because balsamic vinegar is made from grapes, it is full of antioxidants and polyphenols, which has been proven to reduce free-radical damage and strengthen the immune system. It also contains a bioflavonoid known as quercetin which helps to fight immune deficiencies.
4. Lowers cholesterol In a 2010 study, researchers at the Tokyo Institute of Environmental Science for Human Life discovered that the polyphenols in balsamic vinegar reduced the amount of damage that cholesterol, particularly the bad kind, could do to the cardiovascular system. These polyphenols were proven to inhibit the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, which helps to prevent arteries from clogging and hardening. The findings were published in the Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology.
5. Reduces the Risk of Hypertension In 2006, researchers at Arizona State University conducted a study on laboratory rats to see whether balsamic vinegar had any effect on blood pressure. The perfect balance of magnesium, potassium, and sodium proved to be an effective elixir for reducing blood pressure. Hypertension (high blood pressure) can cause heart attacks, strokes, and heart disease, which is one of the leading causes of death in the world. “Since balsamic vinegar reduces atherosclerosis and hardening of arteries, it can also help normalize your blood pressure levels,” researchers said. The findings were published in the Medscape General Medicine review.
6. Prevents cancer Balsamic vinegar is packed with powerful antioxidants that have been proven to reduce the oxidation of healthy cells, which helps to inhibit the development and growth of cancer cells. The polyphenols protect tissues and cells in the body from free-radical damage as well as repairing any unhealthy cells that form.
7. Balances blood sugar Balsamic vinegar is a low glycaemic index (GI) condiment, which helps to prevent blood sugar spikes and imbalances. Research has shown that balsamic vinegar can also help to improve insulin sensitivity in diabetics, which reduces symptoms and allows for easier management of blood sugar balance. It does, however, contain some sugar and should be used in moderation in diabetic cases.
8. Strengthens bones balsamic vinegar on plate Compounds known as pepsin and acetic acid in balsamic vinegar have proven to be vital for maintaining strong and healthy bones because it improves the absorption of vitamins and minerals in the body. Balsamic vinegar contains highly absorbable calcium, which helps to keep the skeletal system healthy and reduces the risk of fractures, joint pain, and arthritis.
9.Treats Wounds Balsamic vinegar has both anti-fungal and anti-viral properties, which makes it an excellent remedy for treating wounds and infections. The high acid content helps to inhibit fungal growth and yeast infections, which helps to relieve the symptoms and heal the body from within.
10 Anti-aging Italians have believed in the anti-aging power of balsamic vinegar for centuries, using it to maintain healthy skin and hair while simultaneously boosting energy. Research has shown that balsamic vinegar contains catechins and antioxidants that help to slow the process of aging by keeping cells healthy, vibrant, and young. The intense burst of polyphenols and quercetin helps to reduce the visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles, sagging skin, and hair loss. It also contains a small amount of sugar and electrolytes, which helps to subtly increase energy and rids the body of excess toxins.
11. Treats heartburn and acid reflux Heartburn and acid reflux are caused by having too little acid in your stomach, which produces a burning sensation in the lower area of the chest and esophagus. Adding one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to a glass of water before and after a meal will help to increase the amount of acid in the stomach, which will prevent or reduce the symptoms of heartburn/acid reflux.
12. Mineral rich For a condiment, balsamic vinegar is extremely rich in minerals, containing small amounts of iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, copper, and manganese. Minerals are an important part of a healthy diet because they assist the proper functioning of every bodily function and help to keep cells and tissues in a healthy condition. Adding balsamic vinegar to any meal or drinking a tablespoon of it with water before any meal with help to increase the number of minerals in your diet without any extra effort.